The CN Tower, originally named the Canadian National Tower, is a communications tower used for broadcasting various media, and an observation tower. At the time it was built, the tower was the world’s tallest, but it was surpassed by Burj Khalifa and Canton Tower. Since its completion, the CN Tower has been arousing a sense of awe among foreign tourists.
The day of the grand opening of the CN Tower, i.e., October 2, 1976 has been preserved in a Time Capsule sealed by Pierre Trudeau (Prime Minister of Canada from April 20th, 1968 to June 3rd, 1979 and from March 3rd, 1980 to June 30th, 1984). The contents of the capsule include:
- A letter from Pierre Trudeau.
- Letters from each of the Provincial Premiers congratulating the Tower.
- Letters about the Tower from various school children.
- Copies of the three daily newspapers (Toronto Star, Toronto Sun and the Globe and Mail).
- Canadian coins and bills of various denominations.
- “To The Top”, the video about the construction of the Tower.
The Capsule is safely inserted inside the walls of the Tower on the Look Out level. According to the official website, the capsule will be officially opened in the year 2076!
The CN Tower has a glass elevator that takes the visitors to the observation deck, where a glass floor allows brave visitors to look 1,122 feet straight down below them. The 360 Restaurant slowly revolves, allowing diners to catch the 360 degree skyline view. Thrill seekers at the CN Tower can check out EdgeWalk, an attraction in which individuals are harnessed and connected to a trolley, allowing them to lean out over the edge of the tower’s main pod.
UPDATE: There’s an emerging landmark in Canada, at the corner of Yonge and Gerrard called the Aura condo, a 78-storey residential building. The Aura condo is expected to break the records and emerge as the tallest residential building in Canada.
CN Tower Location Map
Facts about CN Tower
- The CN Tower stands tall at 553.33 meters (1,815.4 feet).
- The construction of the Tower was completed in 1976.
- In 1995, the American Society of Civil Engineers enlisted the CN Tower as one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World.
- It has been recorded that 1,537 workers worked for 24 hours a day (five days a week) to complete this giant architectural masterpiece within 40 months.
Where is CN tower ?
CN Tower is located in downtown in the middle of the Rogers Centre and the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Front Street, just north of Bremner Blvd, not far from the waterfront on Lake Ontario, making for incredible views across the lake, even into the United States. The Tower is well connected with rail and road routes. You can hire a taxi or use bus drop off service or use a subway or even your own personal vehicle to reach here. The nearest airport is Pearson International Airport. From here either you can choose the Airport Express bus or taxi to reach the CN Tower.
Best time to visit CN Tower
Spring and autumn are great seasons to experience Toronto with milder weather and smaller crowds. Summer offers a variety of cultural events around town, but it is also a busier and more expensive season.
CN Tower Hours
The information desk opens at 9:00 am. Check out the timings for various observation levels on the official website.
CN Tower Tickets
More about CN Tower
Published On: Thursday, May 15th, 2014