Santorini epitomizes the experience of vacationing in Greece and thousands of visitors come every year to gaze at one of the most dramatic geographic spectacles, which was the result of the world’s largest volcanic eruption. The eruption in the region occurred around 1500 BC and has inspired many writers and artists since the olden times. This volcanic activity created a beautiful landscape, making Santorini a unique attraction.
Fira, the capital of the island and also the most important village offers a stunning view of the architecture of the houses, which shouldn’t be missed out on by tourists. The town also offers museums that have collections from excavations, artifacts as well as sculptures from the historical past of the island. Fira, along with Oia, Imerovigli and Firostefani provide scenic views of the Santorini island.
Apart from the beautiful views, the island offers exceptional cuisines and traditional products such as fava, cherry tomatoes and “hlorotyri”, which is a special type of fresh goat cheese.
The young volcanic land is extremely popular for its seaside treasures with deep blue beaches, colorful sand and impressive rock formations. Given its beauty and charm, this region is becoming an increasingly popular wedding destination for not only those who live in Greece but for couples from all over the globe.
Facts about Santorini
- Today this island is the only inhabited Caldera and the other islands in Greece are situated densely on top of big cliffs of the Caldera.
- The island was destroyed twice by venetians, in 1354 and in 1397. A terrible earthquake was also responsible for its destruction in 1956.
- Santorini had a different shape before the eruption of the volcano, which caused its central part to sink into the sea.
- All 13 villages on the island have maintained a traditional style and architecture. In fact, the architecture on this island is unique and Yposkafo (cave houses) that were built by the poor society class to protect themselves from the gusty winds in Santorini should be experienced.
- They say visiting Akrotiri is a must since it makes you feel as if you are time traveling. Those elegant mansions of the 17th century B.C. are found nowhere else in the world.
Where is Santorini?
This Greek island is located in the Aegean Sea and situated on the top of the Cyclades Cluster.
Best time to visit Santorini
The best time to visit the region would be between late April and Mid-June before the arrival of summer when prices become particularly high. Weather in Greece is mild in general while the winters could sometimes become harsh. However, visiting between November and March would allow you to ski in the mountains.
More on Santorini
Main Attractions : Akrotiri, Mesa Vouno, Open Air cinema Kamari, Skaros RockPublished On: Saturday, August 10th, 2013