If you are visiting Sao Paulo City, then you must not miss a tour of the cultural center of the city of Sao Paulo – the Paulista Avenue. Hundreds of people visit the avenue for work during the week, while on the weekends, people visit the avenue for entertainment. Also, on Sundays, the avenue is enlivened by the antique fair, which is held in the empty space below the Masp museum.
The chief highlights of the Avenue are:
- Casa das Rosas: Surrounded by several buildings, the Casa das Rosas is a place for literature lovers. This mansion was built in 1935. Presently, it serves as a venue for lectures, book launches, exhibitions, literary criticism, etc.
- Centro Cultural São Paulo: The cultural center of Sao Paulo has a big library and some temporary exhibitions. Concerts, theater performances, and other events are also held here.
- Consolação Cemetery: Established in 1858, the cemetery has tombs of historical figures of Sao Paulo, such as Tarsila do Amaral, Mario de Andrade, Monteiro Lobato, and Ramos de Azevedo.
- Masp: Constructed in the 60s, the imposing Masp museum holds a permanent collection of several painters, including Renoir, Van Gogh, Modigliani, and Portinari.
- Museum of the Brazilian Home: This museum based on the design and architecture niche was created in 1970. The museum houses sculptor Victor Brecheret's bust of Renata Crespi, along with several paintings and lithographs exhibiting the profile of the elite class of the 40s and 50s.
Centro Cultural Fiesp, Itaú Cultural Institute, Sesc Paulista, Caixa Cultural Galeria Paulista, Museum of Image and Sound, Orthodox Cathedral, are some other places of interest at the Paulista Avenue.
For shopping freaks, the avenue offers several choices, including Shopping Frei Caneca, Shopping Center 3, Shopping Paulista, and Shopping Pátio Higienópolis. The avenue also offers an array of restaurants, cafes and ice-cream shops to tickle your taste buds.
With plenty of cultural centers, superb cuisine options, theaters and museum, the Paulista Avenue has its own delight. Should you plan to visit Paulista Avenue here is a useful map -
Image Credit : Samwingkit
PT20150727Published On: Wednesday, April 30th, 2014