The recipe of Torta de Acelga
is one of the favorite recipes of Gibraltar. The dish of Torta de Acelga is probably chard pie. This particular dish is supposed to have been derived from a spinach pie which is a very popular dish of Italy.
The particular recipe Torta de Acelga
is very similar to the Greek recipe known as "spanakopita". In Gibraltar this particular pie which can be grouped as a sweet dish is usually eaten on the occasion of Good Friday.
The ingredients of Torta de Acelga are as follows:
- 1 small packet of puff pastry or else the pastry can be made by mixing one glass of water olive oil and then adding flour to it and then making soft dough.
- 6 eggs
- 6 bunches of chard or Acelga
- Grated Cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Season according to the taste
Method of preparation of Torta de Acelga is as follows:
- First the stems of the Acelga have to be removed
- Then the leaves have to be washed properly so that the dirt or the soil is removed.
- The leaves of the Acelga have to be boiled, drained and chopped.
- Now the chopped leaves have to be fried in hot olive oil and the set aside
- On an oven proof die dish the pastry has to be rolled out and laid and pastry has to kept for the closing of the pie afterwards
- Now the eggs have to be beaten and all the other ingredients have to be added to make a nice filling
- Add this filling to the Acelga and then mix well
- Now the pie dish has to be filled with " rellono" and the pie has to be closed with pastry
- Now the total thing has to be cooked in the oven at the temperature of about 150ºC/300º F for ½ hr till the pie becomes golden.