Rising magnificently over the Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve, the KL Tower ranks among the tallest telecom towers in the world. This sky-scraping tower with a bulb resting upon its apex resembles a Malaysian spinning toy. The KL Tower has a revolving restaurant and an observation deck. These are the best places to admire the views of the city. The tower bears imprints of the Islamic heritage in the form of Islamic tiles, and traditional flower and abstract motifs of Islam.
The KL Tower was constructed in three phases:
- The work done in the first phase was the extension of Jalan Punchak and diggings of soil from the construction site. It began on October 4, 1991 and ended on August 15, 1992.
- The second phase spanned between July 6, 1992, and April 15, 1993. The foundation of the tower was laid and the basement of the tower was built.
- The work of the third phase began in May 1994 with the construction of the tower. Main lobby and dome were also added during this phase.
- After the construction of the KL Tower, the final touches were given on September 13, 1994.
KL Tower Tour
Take the elevators to reach the observation deck in less than a minute. In front of the elevators you get an audio guide that explains the landmarks you could see from the deck. Several telescopes are installed for a closer view of the surrounding buildings.
Atmosphere 360: KL Tower Revolving Restaurant
Enjoy 360-degree views of the city along with authentic Malaysian & International cuisine. Get impressed with the views from the top.
KL Tower Events
- Spectate the Menara KL International Jump from 26 to 29 September, 2014.
- The KL Tower International Towerthon Challenge 2014 was held on May 18, 2014. The challenge requires the participants to climb 2,058 steps.
- Eksplorasi Warisan 2014, an event conducted by Menara Kuala Lumpur and the National Heritage Department, is scheduled to be held on 6-7 December, 2014.
KL Tower Map
Facts about KL Tower
- The tower is called Menara Kuala Lumpur in the Malay language.
- The KL Tower was opened to public on July 23, 1996.
- Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, the 4th Prime Minister of Malaysia, formally founded the tower on October 1, 1996.
KL Tower Location
One of the landmarks of Malaysia, the KL Tower is located at a distance of 59.9 km from the KL International Airport via Lebuhraya Kuala Lumpur – Putrajaya route. You can reach the tower by bus, shuttle bus, or taxi.
Address: Menara Kuala Lumpur, No. 2 Jalan Punchak Off Jalan P.Ramlee, 50250, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Best Time to Visit
Visit the tower during early evenings and grab a perfect seat at the Atmosphere 360 restaurant for the sweeping views of the city. If you reach late, there will be less chances of getting a window seat.
Kl Tower Hours
The Observation Deck opens daily from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Kl Tower Ticket Price
The entry tickets to the Observation Deck cost RM 49.00 (Malaysian Ringgit) per adult and RM 29.00 per child. The entry to the Open Deck costs RM 99.00 for an adult. Combo tickets are also available. Check the official website menarakl.com.my for more details.
What are the coordinates of the KL Tower?
3.1528° N, 101.7033° E
Image credit : Phalinn Ooi
MS20151005Published On: Wednesday, July 16th, 2014