Located a little way off Munnar, the Mattupetty dam is a popular item on a day itinerary from Munnar. Dams all over the world, with their display of man’s might over nature, have always attracted visitors. As have bodies of water. The Mattupetty dam and the lake as well, has therefore attracted a considerable number of travelers. Also, the fact that it is set in the backdrop of verdant rolling slopes, makes it ideal for a picnic, or just a small stop.
Opened in 1953, the Dam is a concrete gravity dam. Not only is it a major tourist draw, but the hydro-electric power it generates is a major revenue source for the state of Kerala. The dam is well-maintained and the reservoir lake is clean. The gates of the dam are small, and even when open, the huge gushing noise of water characteristic of larger dams is absent here.
Attractions and activities at the Mattupetty Dam
- Boating: Speed boats are a must-do activity here. Majorly, because they are a good way to enjoy the beauty of the lake, and there is nothing much to do here, otherwise. As the boat moves along the water, the green reflections of the surrounding verdure, have a very calming effect on the passenger.
- A stroll on the banks of the lake: The banks of the lake have just about enough trees to make the idea of a stroll through them inviting. One can always follow it up with a nice foot-dipping session at the lake.
- Picnic: The idyllic setting is ideal for a family picnic. A little stroll on the banks, a nice boat-ride on the lake and buying some memorabilia at a tourist-shop, can all be packed in a day’s activity.
- Shop selling homemade chocolates: A shop sells homemade chocolates in the area are worth a try. Other shops selling nuts and spices are in the area too.
- Wild Elephant Sightings: Well, this is not in the hands of the traveler. But quite a few lucky travelers have been known to have sighted the huge animals who frequent the waters.
- Horse Riding: Horse-riding on the green banks can be fun, especially for the younger members of the group.
- Echo Point: This is not in the vicinity of the dam but close by.
Mattupety Dam Location
The Mattupetty Dam is located in Mattupetty, a hill station at an altitude of 5577 feet. Mattupetty is situated at a distance of 8 miles from Munnar, is a very popular hill station in the Idukki district of Kerala.
Address: Munnar, Idukki District, Kerala – 685612
Mattupetty Dam Map
How to Reach
Reach by Air:
The nearest international airport is the Cochin International Airport. From the airport to the dam, it is a car journey of 3 hours via the NH 49 to the Mattupetty Dam.
Reach by Rail:
The nearest railway station is Aluva Railway Station. From there, it will take a cab 3 hours to reach Mattupetty Dam via NH 49, SH 18 and Tea Estate Road.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Mattupetty is between August and May.
Mattupetty Dam Timings
Sale of tickets for boat-rides close at 4:30 p.m. After that, the half-hour ride goes on till 05:00 p.m. Boating at the lake opens at 09:30 a.m. every day.
Mattupetty Dam Entry Fee
1.) Boat Tickets: Rs 500 for an entire speedboat for the family, Rs 300 for an ordinary boat
2.) Horse Ride: Rs 50
3.) Homemade chocolates: Rs 90-Rs140 for 250 grams
Floriculture Centre, Photo Point, Mattupetty Indo-Swiss Farm, Echo Point, Elephant Arrival Spot, Kundala Lake, Top Station.