The Margaret Court Arena is the third and latest addition to the Melbourne Park. It is the third largest venue for the Australian Open, after the Rod Laver Arena and the Hisense Arena. It is famous for its retractable roof that opens and closes in 5 minutes- the fastest retractable roof in the world.
Just before the 2003 Australian Open, the Margaret Court Arena was renamed after the famous Australian woman player, Margaret Court. Prior to this it was called ‘Show Court One’.
Please take a look at the seating plan before booking your seats for the Australian Open.
A 700 million dollar project was undertaken in 2010- the Melbourne Park masterplan- and the renovation of the MCA was carried out under this project. The court was then transformed into a multi purpose venue for sporting and entertainment events alike. Seating capacity too increased from 6000 to 7500.
Entertainment at Margaret Court Arena:
Margaret Court Arena with its intimate seat setting and variable seating capacity that can range from 5000 to 8000, has become hot favorite among musicians and music enthusiasts alike, as a venue for live music. Australian hip hop pioneers Hilltop Hoods, performed at the MCA as a part of their Cosby Sweater Tour.
Sports at Margaret Court Arena:
- Tennis: Margaret Court Arena is known to offer one of the best tennis viewing experiences to spectators. When the Margaret Court Arena opens its grounds to Australian Open this year, the Melbourne Park will become the only Grand Slam Tennis venue to have three stadiums with retractable roofs. The opening of the newly redeveloped venue drastically brings down the time needed to complete all the matches of the Australian Open Tournament. Since these stadiums have retractable roofs, the Australian Open will no longer be dependent on outside weather.
- The MCA has also been host to four matches played by the basketball team Melbourne United during November 2014. The Melbourne United has played in the National Basketball League (NBL) for a long thirty years under the name Melbourne Tigers.
- Netball: Quite a few matches of the ANZ netball championship will be played at Margaret Court Arena during March 2015. The Melbourne Vixens, the defending champions will play three games here.
Explore : 17 Free Things to do in Melbourne
Margaret Court Arena Map
Where is Margaret Court Arena ?
Margaret Court Arena
Batman Avenue and Olympic Boulevard
Melbourne VIC 3000
How to reach Margaret Court Arena?
Reach by air:
The nearest international airport is Melbourne Airport. You can take a cab via M2 to reach the Margaret Court Arena within roughly 30 minutes.
Reach by rail:
From Melbourne Central Railway Station, a cab will take you to Margaret Court Arena via Londsdale Street, Exhibition Street and Batman Avenue in 8 minutes.
Best time to visit
Margaret Court Arena may be visited during tennis, basketball and netball matches, and for entertainment shows organized at Margaret Court. The fastest retractable roof in the world ensures that the event goes on even if the weather plays truant.
Tickets and Hours
- Hours to visit will depend upon the event you wish to attend.
- Tickets can be booked online in advance at its official website i.e. www.margaretcourtarena.com.au. Ticket prices vary depending on the event.
Places of interest near Margaret Court Arena
Sydney Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne Cricket Ground, National Sports Museum, Aami Park, Johnston Collection, The Arts Centre.
Related: Margaret Court Arena Infographic
PT20151007Published On: Wednesday, January 7th, 2015