Vietnamese cuisine is known all over the world as one of the most healthiest with minimal use of oil and fats. I've seen it being served in numerous Asian restaurants, you can easily make out with the aromas and taste of typical herbs and sauces. Most common herbs used in the preparation include lemongrass, mint, ginger, basil etc, while the sauces include fish sauce, soy sauce etc. Culturally and traditionally the dishes include a hot or warm ingredient along with a cold ingredient, following the principles of Yin and Yang. From the south to central to north, its easy to see quite some variations in the cooking techniques and use of ingredients. Some of the common dishes served in Vietnam include Banh Xeo, Banh Canh (rice and noodle soup), Chao Long (rice porridge with meat), Banh Chung (sticky rice dish), Bi Cuon (rice paper rolls) etc.
I was longing for some Asian delicacy today, so I picked up Banh Xeo from Vietnam. This rice flour pancake with filling of pork or shrimps and other vegetables is made on a hot pan. For the pancake batter, I used coconut milk and turmeric powder, giving it a more Southern Vietnamese style while for the filling I used shrimps along with bean sprouts and mint leaves. The taste was delectable and I enjoyed the time spent in cooking as well. You can easily try this Vietnamese Banh Xeo at home and enjoy an authentic Asian meal yourself. Its fairly easy to make and is well served for the full meal. You can also choose to serve it along with some lettuce leaves on the side. Either ways, you would love this Vietnamese Banh Xeo Recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Oil for cooking
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Onion - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Shrimps - 200 gms
- Bean sprouts - 1/2 cup
- Mint leaves - 10 to 12
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Vietnamese Banh Xeo Recipe
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a lump free batter.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 min.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add shrimps and cook for 3 to 4 min.
- Add salt and black pepper powder and mix well.
For Banh Xeo
- Heat a pan, when it is hot, brush with little oil.
- Add 2 ladle batter and swirl the pan to spread it evenly all over.
- Cook for a minute, keep little amount of shrimp filling on one half of the pancake.
- Top with some bean sprouts and mint leaves.
- Fold the other half over the top.
- Serve hot.