Nigeria is a fairly diverse country comprising of many number of tribes and ethnic groups. By some numbers these tribes and groups speak more than a couple of hundred dialects. Large number of these groups follow local rituals and do a lot of pomp and show for the festivities. Food comprises a main part of the culture and brings out the flavors from a variety of spices.
Nigeria has adopted its food from the wider African continent to complement the local crops. While Yam (used in preparation of Iyan and Amala) and Cassava (used in preparation of Eba and Lafun) showcase the influence. Banga Soup and Miyan Yakuwa are home-made soups with local crops, Nigerian beans are also famous the world over. Nigerians also extensively use the rice and meat in number of dishes like Pies, Suya and Balangu. Local beverages include Palm Wine, Kunu and Zobo. Due to the vast culture some of the communities like their food to be spicy, while the others prefer it bland.
This time I tried my hand on Nigerian Meat Pies, the pies made with flour with minced meat and vegetable filling are decorated on the sides and baked for a perfect taste. The meat is traditionally mixed and cooked with onions, potatoes and carrot to prepare the filling while the dough is assembled with cold water. The recipe may look fairly extensive, it is not too hard to follow and gives a great taste in the end. So give this Nigerian Meat Pies Recipe a go and enjoy a true African taste in your kitchen.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
For The Dough
- All purpose flour - 3 cup
- Unsalted butter - 150 gms
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Ice cold water - approx 1/2 cup
For The Filling
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Onions - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Minced meat - 150 gms
- Potato - 1/2 cup (peeled and cubed about 1/2 cm)
- Carrot - 1/2 cup (peeled and cubed about 1/2 cm)
- Dried thyme - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- All purpose flour - 1 tbsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Meat stock - 1 cup
- Egg - 1
How to Make Nigerian Meat Pies
For The Dough
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a jar of the food processor with dough attachment.
- Add the butter and blend till the mixture is crumbly
- Add ice-cold water 1 tbsp at a time and bring the dough together.
- Transfer the dough to a working platform and knead slightly to bring it all together.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 min.
For The Filling
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and fry for 2-3 min.
- Add minced meat and cook for 3-4 min.
- Add meat stock, potato, carrots, salt and thyme. Cover and cook till done.
- Mix flour in 1 cup water and add it to the pan and cook for another 2 min.
- Remove from heat and cool. Keep aside.
For The Pies Assembly
- Whisk the egg and keep aside.
- Divide the dough in two parts, dust and roll one of the part about 5mm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the rolled dough in 3 inch circles.
- Place about 1 tbsp filling in each of the circles, brush the diameter with egg and fold into a pie shape.
- Press the ends using a fork.
- Repeat with the other part of the dough.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C
- Grease a baking sheet and line the pies.
- Bake for 30 min or till golden brown.
- Serve hot.