America is truly diverse when it comes to cuisine. People from around the globe have settled in the land of their dreams and have blended their unique methods of cooking, ingredients and recipes. From Mexican to Chinese, European to Indian, Far East to West, all kinds of recipes can be found in America. Talking about New York or The Big Apple, this city continues to one of the most happening ones in the world. Its so much fun walking through the criss-cross streets looking at an amalgamation of talent and food from across the world. The food map of New York depicts a number of carts selling Hot Dog, Clam Chowder, Pizza, Burgers and Curries among a number of low-end to high-end restaurants.
There is a unique taste in New York cuisine. So, for this column, I thought of making a New York recipe. What could be better than a nicely made Cheesecake? I’ve been a fan of Cheesecake, however, this is one thing which isn’t so easy to make perfectly. After a lot of research and trials I’ve been able to finally come to this most amazing Cheesecake Recipe.
The Cheesecake came out absolutely delightful, just perfectly soft from the top with a slightly hard bottom. For the bottom crust I used digestive biscuits while a branded cream cheese did wonders to the top layer. I loved the taste which can be compared to the best ones I’ve tried in this city.
So here is New York Style Cheesecake Recipe just for you. Hope you would love it too.
Ingredients (makes a 10 inch cake)
For the Cheesecake
- Cream Cheese – 1 Kg
- Eggs – 4
- Fine grain sugar – 2 cups
- All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 2 & 1/2 tsp
- Sour cream – 3/4 cup
For the bottom crust
- Digestive biscuits – 2 cups
- Cooking butter – 4 tbsp
- Fine grain sugar – 2 tbsp
New York Style Cheesecake Recipe
- Wrap an aluminium foil around a 10 inch spring form pan.
- Grease the pan with butter and keep aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Grind the biscuits to a fine powder and mix with sugar and butter (melted).
- Put the mixture in spring form pan and freeze for about 10 min.
- Now bake the mixture in the oven for about 10 min and keep aside.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract and keep aside.
- Whisk the cream cheese and sugar on high speed for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the all purpose flour, eggs and sour cream and whisk to combine it.
- Now spread this batter all over the baked bottom in the spring form pan.
- Take a large baking tray and fill 1/4th with boiling water.
- Place the spring form pan in the middle of the baking tray making sure that water comes to about 1/2 the height of the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 160 C (320F) and keep baking for another 20 min.
- Turn off the oven and let the cake cool for about an hour.
- Take it out and let it cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate it for about 6 to 8 hours with the pan.
- Remove the spring form pan and serve a nicely made New York Style Cheesecake.