Thai cuisine is famous over the world for its use of strong and aromatic ingredients. Among other Thai dishes, Thai curries also known as Kaeng bring out unique Thai taste. These curries can be made green or red in color and vary in the ingredients used. A perfect curry is a confluence of many different herbs and spices balanced together, a red Thai curry includes ingredients such as Kaffir Lime, Coriander and Cumin seeds, Lemongrass, Shrimp Paste, Galangal etc, while the green curry are more pungent and use green chilies to bring out the light green color. Both the curry colors use coconut milk along with either vegetables or meat for the preparation and generally served with rice. Sometime back in this blog, we saw the recipe of Pad Thai, one of the most famous dishes from Thailand while today I picked up a red curry. Some of the other known dishes from Thailand include Khanom Chin (Thai Noodles), Kai Yang (Grilled Chicken), Stir Fried Vegetables etc.
For the preparation today I made Chicken In Red Thai Curry. It is possible to get the Thai red curry paste in supermarkets international aisles which can be easily mixed with coconut milk, chicken and vegetables like broccoli, bell peppers, shallots and garlic to make this great tasting dish. These curry pastes include most other Thai ingredients which may be hard to find together, so are best suited for home use. If however you do get all Thai ingredients together, you may also want to blend them together to make your own paste. Either way, I'm sure you would love the taste of the red curry served with rice. So let's see this Chicken In Red Thai Curry Recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Garlic - 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Onion - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Chicken - 400 gms
- Thai red curry paste - 4 tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Soy sauce - 1 tsp
- Fish sauce - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Broccoli - 1 cup (cut in florets)
- Red bell pepper - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Yellow bell pepper - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Green bell pepper - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Thai basil for garnishing
How to Make Thai Red Chicken Curry
- Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add chicken and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Thai red curry paste and mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bring it to a boil and then add all vegetables along with soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, salt, lemon juice and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.