Belgium is one of the prominent countries and a hub for European Union. It has its own unique culture and cuisine with some influences from other European countries like France, Germany etc. Belgian chocolates are famous and the city centers of major cities boasts of many different shops selling different shapes and sizes of the preparation. Similarly it is also famous for its Beer, which is consumed in large quantities and for Waffles which are served in breakfast and dessert throughout Europe. Some of the common known dishes from Belgium include Smoked Ham, Pate, Bacon, Grey Shrimps for appetizers or snacks. Beef Stew, Mashed Potatoes, Waterzooi (a stew and soup made with vegetables, fish or chicken), Boudin (a unique sausage made with breadcrumbs), Fries are served for the main meals, while desserts include Spiced Bread, Cookies and Waffles.
For a Belgian taste today I made the unique Belgian Waffles. It is one of the easiest international recipes that can be made, however you do need a waffle press at home. I was looking to buy the press as I love waffles for breakfast, and now with this in hand I can make this recipe more often. These waffles can be topped with some honey, powdered sugar and fruits like strawberries etc. for a unique taste. The batter is made with eggs, flour, baking powder etc which solidifies in the press giving a perfect shape and taste. Just use this easy to follow recipe and enjoy the Belgian taste for breakfast or dessert. Here is Belgian Waffles Recipe.
- All purpose flour - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Baking powder - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Butter - 1/2 cup (melted and cooled)
- Milk - 1 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
How to Make Belgian Waffles
- Mix all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a bowl as dry ingredients.
- Mix eggs, butter, milk and vanilla extract in another bowl as wet ingredients.
- Now mix both of them together and whisk for a couple of minutes to make a batter. Keep it covered for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the waffle press and once ready pour the batter according to the size of waffle press to fill the bottom.
- Cook till it turns light brown.
- Remove and top it with powdered sugar, honey and your favorite berries and serve hot.