Armenian cuisine has commonalities with Turkish and Persian cuisine. However, it is characterized by freshest of ingredients. I was introduced to this cuisine through one of the most common breads called Lavash and I instantaneously connected with the great taste. Ever since, I’ve tried quite a few Armenian varieties and have loved most of them.
The Armenian cuisine is also known for its use of wheat, chick peas, nuts, kidney beans, herbs like basil, parsley and thyme, fresh fruits and various kinds of meats. Some of the common dishes from Armenia include Harissa, Khash, Lentil Salad, Byorek, Nazook, grilled meats, Fasulya etc.
Today, I made Armenian Nazook, a kind of pastry made with basic baking ingredients. Just like most other recipes from Armenia, this tastes best when served hot and fresh. The filling inside the bread brings out the perfect taste. You may even want to experiment and add some dry fruits to the filling. I had a great breakfast with Nazook and you, too, can enjoy it sometime by following the step-by-step recipe given here.
Ingredients (makes about 2 dozen pieces)
For the Dough
- All purpose flour - 3 & 1/2 cup
- Unsalted butter - 1 cup (softened)
- Egg - 1
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Yeast - 2 & 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt - 1 cup
For the Filling
- All purpose flour - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Unsalted butter - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- Egg yolk - 1 (for brushing)
How to Make Armenian Nazook
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl and knead into a soft dough.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl and knead into a soft dought.
- Refrigerate the dough for 3 to 4 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F.
- Divide the dough into four parts.
- Roll each part into a thin rectangle.
- Mix all filling ingredients into a bowl.
- Divide the filling equally over the rectangles.
- Tightly roll each rectangle into a cylinder.
- Cut into 1 to 2 inch thick pieces.
- Arrange the pieces over a baking tray.
- Brush each of them with an egg yolk.
- Bake them for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot & fresh.