Oscars 2016 Winners
February 29 , 2016
88th Academy Awards
Amidst protests, the 88th annual Academy Awards got underway in Hollywood, Los Angeles. The event was launched by Chris Rock, the host of the evening, who addressed the race controversy head on. One of the biggest upsets that marked the awards was Mark Rylance winning the Best Supporting actor for Bridge of Spies beating Sylvester Stallone. Rock opened the show with the statement, “If they nominated hosts, I wouldn’t even get the job”.
Some of the films that grabbed awards at the Oscars included Spotlight, The Danish Girl, The Big Short, Ex Machina, Inside Out and Mad Max: Fury Road. Find below a complete list of the films that made it big at the Oscars.
- Best Picture - 'Spotlight'
- Best Actor in a Leading Role - Leonardo DiCaprio for 'The Revenant'
- Best Actress in a Leading Role - Brie Larson for 'Room'
- Best Director - Alejandro G. Inarritu for 'The Revenant'
- Best Original Screenplay - Tom MacCarthy and Josh Singer for 'Spotlight'
- Best Adapted Screenplay - Charles Randolph and Adam McKay for 'The Big Short'
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Alicia Vikander for 'The Danish Girl'
- Best Costume Design - Jerry Beavan for 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
- Best Production Design - Collin Gibson and Lisa Thompson for 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling - Lesley Vanderwalt for 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
- Best Cinematography - Emmanuel Lubezki for 'The Revenant'
- Best Film Editing - Margaret Sixel for 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
- Best Sound Editing - Mark Mangini and David White for 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
- Best Sound Mixing - Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo for 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
- Best Visual Effects - Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett for 'Ex Machina'
- Best Short Film (Animated) - Gabriel Osorio and Pato Escala for 'Bear Story'
- Best Animated Feature Film - Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera for 'Inside Out'
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Mark Rylance for 'Bridges of Spies'
- Best Documentary (Short Subject) - Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy for 'A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness'
- Best Documentary (Feature) - Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Rees for 'Amy'
- Best Short Film (Live Action) - Benjamin Cleary and Serena Armitage for 'Stutterer'
- Best Foreign Language Film - Hungary; 'Son of Saul' directed by Laszlo Nemes
- Best Music (Original Score)- Ennio Morricone for 'The Hateful Eight'
- Best Music (Original Song) - Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith for 'Writing on the wall' from 'Spectre'