Gunmen attack hotel in Burkina Faso, 20 dead
January 16 , 2016
Burkina Faso: Siege of Splendid hotel declared over, second hotel now under attack
The government of Burkina Faso has declared the siege of Splendid Hotel as over. However, media reports say a hotel located nearby is now under attack. 126 people were freed at the Splendid Hotel situated in Burkina Faso’s capital Ouagadougou. 20 deaths were reported during the attack. Three gunmen were also killed during the operations. As the Siege of Splendid Hotel was declared over, reports came in that gunmen had taken up positions at the Yibi hotel.
Burkina Faso hotel attack: 63 hostages evacuated
As per latest reports, around 63 hostages have been evacuated from the besieged Splendid Hotel in Burkina Faso. Remis Dandjinou, Burkina Faso’s minister of communications said the hostages were freed after 40 Burkina Faso soldiers, with the support of French troops, launched an attack.
Burkina Faso attack:: 33 hostages freed
Burkina Faso’s minister of communication, Remis Dandjinou said on Twitter that 33 hostages had been freed from Splendid Hotel. The hostages have been brought to local hospitals. As per media reports, Burkinabe and French soldiers stormed the hotel, which had been seized by al-Qaeda militants, and freed the hostages. A government minister, Clément Sawadogo, was among the hostages freed. Dandjinou said the operation to retake the hotel was currently on.
At least 20 people were killed when gunmen attacked a hotel in Burkina Faso. According to media reports, people have also been taken hostage. The attack took place at the Splendid hotel in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso. Two car bombs exploded outside the hotel, which is used by westerners and UN staff. Three to four masked men then attacked the hotel. Gilles Thibault, French ambassador, tweeted that an operation to free the hostages was currently underway. Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb claimed responsibility for the attack.