Donald Trump Cancels 'Secret' Meeting with "Major Taliban Leaders" after the Death of a US Soldier
September 8 , 2019
The US President Donald Trump has said that he has cancelled peace talks with the Taliban leaders of Afghanistan after the terrorist group claimed responsibility of the Kabul attack that killed 1 US soldier (34-year old U.S. Army Sergeant 1st Class Elis A. Barreto Ortiz) along with 11 other people. Donald Trump revealed that he had planned to hold secret meeting with major Taliban leaders in Maryland’s Camp David presidential compound on Sunday. On Twitter, the US President said that after learning Taliban’s involvement in the killing of 12 innocent people in Kabul, he called off the scheduled meeting as “they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway”. The draft accord (which involved withdrawal of around 5,000 US troops from war-torn Afghanistan) worked out by the special U.S. envoy for peace in Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad last week seems to be in a limbo after this surprise announcement.