Benghazi attack "was terror strike", says Petraeus
November 17 , 2012
Former CIA chief General David Petraeus told U.S. lawmakers on Friday that the assault on an American consulate in Libya was a terror attack.
During two appearances on Capitol Hill, he said the public explanation had been edited in order to prevent alerting groups under suspicion.
He gave evidence to the House Intelligence Committee and its Senate counterpart in closed sessions.
The testimony on Benghazi came a week after Petraeus quit over an affair.
Petraeus said he left his post at the CIA because of an extramarital affair with biographer Paula Broadwell, insisting his resignation had nothing to do with the CIA's handling of the attack.
He was briefly questioned about his personal life at the start of the proceedings and lawmakers took his word that his affair had not compromised national security.
U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens was among the four Americans who died in Benghazi on September 11.
Although the hearings took place behind closed doors, committee members did speak to reporters afterwards.