Mobs attack Immigrants in South Africa
April 17 , 2015
(April 20, 2015) Rioting in South Africa, more than 300 arrested
More than 300 people have been arrested in South Africa for attacks on immigrants. The Minister of Home Affairs, Malusi Gigaba, said that people responsible for the rioting would be dealt with severely. At least six people have died so far. Mobs had been targeting African immigrants, accusing them of coming to South Africa and taking jobs of the locals. Thousands of people have taken refuge in shelter camps, while Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi have announced plans to evacuate their citizens.
(April 17, 2015) At least five people were killed and thousands sought refuge in shelters as mobs attacked immigrants in the South African city of Durban. Police were dispatched to the scene to control the crowd.The dead included two immigrants and three South Africans, including a 14-year-old boy. As per media reports, the local residents are accusing immigrants from other African nations of coming to SA and taking up their jobs.Gift of the Givers charity, which is helping the refugees, said that they are preparing aid packages for people who want to go home. It is believed that about 8,500 people have fled to police stations or refugee centers.