Afghan Taliban attack U.S. base in Jalalabad
December 2 , 2012
Taliban suicide bombers killed four Afghan soldiers and injured several NATO troops in an attack on a joint U.S.-Afghan airbase in eastern Afghanistan earlier today.
Two civilians were also killed in the attack on the base in Jalalabad.
According to Afghan intelligence officials, nine suicide attackers were involved in the attack, all of whom had been killed.
NATO has not yet confirmed how many of its troops were injured or how seriously.
A NATO spokesman said the attack had clearly been planned for some time. Both NATO and Afghan officials said it was a failure as the militants were unable to penetrate the base.
Afghan officials said the first four attackers arrived in explosive-laden cars and had targeted separate entrances to the airfield. The others had followed on foot and clashed with security guards.
Taliban insurgents have been fighting NATO and Afghan troops for 11 years.
NATO, which currently has around 130,000 troops in Afghanistan, is due to withdraw combat forces in the country by the end of 2014, with only training troops remaining.