Quantcast
logo

Magnus Carlsen is the new Chess World Champion

  • Magnus Carlsen of Norway defeated the reigning World Champion Vishwanathan Anand of India to take the title in the recently concluded Chess World Championship in Chennai, India. Carlsen, only 22 years old, and already the world's highest-ranked chess player, beat the 43-year-old Anand by a score of 6.5-3.5. They were to play a 12-game series but by creating an unassailable lead, Carlsen was able to force a conclusion by game 10 with 2 games to spare. Vishwanathan Anand has been the World Chess Champion from 2007. Carlsen takes home 60% of the prize money of $2.24m (£1.4m) while Anand gets the remaining 40%.

    Carlsen now has the distinction of having the higest ELO rating in chess history, though he is not the youngest World Champion. Garry Kasparov was a few week's younger when he became the world champion in 1985. Kasparov has described Carlsen as the Harry Potter of chess while others have compared him to the musical prodigy Mozart. After the contest Magnus Carlsen said "I fight to the end... I like to try and put pressure on my opponent...people crack under pressure."

     

    Tagged as: Magnus Carlsen, World Chess Championship, FIDE, sports news