Egyptian soccer fans banned from matches
April 11 , 2013
Egypt's sports ministry announced on Wednesday that supporters are to be banned from upcoming continental club matches in the country.
The move follows recent riots by the limited number of fans allowed to attend African Champions League games between Al Ahly and Zamalek.
In a statement, the ministry said it had made the decision "in order to protect and guarantee the safety and security of the fans, teams and the facilities themselves."
The latest ban means fans will also be unlikely to watch domestic league matches.
Soccer fans have not been allowed into stadiums to watch domestic games since the league started in February.
Prior to that there had been no soccer action in Egypt for a year following the incident at Port Said stadium, which left over 70 fans dead after violent clashes at a game between Al Ahly and Al Masry.
Know about the winners and history of Soccer through Soccer Trophies