Beckham to make post-Galaxy decision by end of year
November 21 , 2012
Soccer star David Beckham revealed on Tuesday that he had lots of "exciting opportunities" to mull over once his contract with the LA Galaxy ends after next month's Major League Soccer (MLS) Cup final.
Ruling out retirement, the former England captain said he still had one more challenge to face on the field. However, he will only make the decision at the end of this year.
"I still feel I have something left in me as a player," the former Manchester United and Real Madrid mid-fielder told reporters after a Galaxy practice session.
"I still feel like I have one more challenge in me as a player, even at 37 years old. I feel I still can play at a high level. Where that will be yet, I haven't decided…I have some exciting opportunities on the table but right now my focus is on the final,” he added.
Last week, Beckham's management dismissed rumors over plans to move to Australia's A-League fuelling speculation over his next move. Beckham has in the past been open about his ambition to be part of an MLS ownership structure in the future.
The soccer star has spent the past six seasons with the Galaxy, leading Los Angeles to an MLS Cup title last season when they beat the Houston Dynamo 1-0. He joined the Galaxy from Real Madrid on a five-year, $32.5 million deal.
Beckham and the Galaxy will play for their second consecutive crown when they face the Dynamo in a repeat of last year's final on December 1 at the Home Depot Center.