Bail raided in Sharper case
February 26 , 2014
Former NFL star Darren Sharper is charged with rape in another state and the recent bail terms have barred him from being alone with women he wasn't previously familiar with.
Sharper pleaded not guilty to the allegations, according to which he raped two women after drugging them in Los Angeles. He has been ordered to leave Los Angeles County and his bail has been increased to $1M.
"The court considers these crimes quite serious and has to evaluate the protection of the public," Judge Renee Korn said.
Sharper previously posted bail worth $200k when he was arrested in January. He left the court without comment after making his appearance Thursday.
"The defendant in this case is a danger to the women in our community," prosecutor Stacy Okun-Wiese told the judge. "He is out there preying on women between the ages of 20 to 23 years old. He hangs out with them at clubs. He takes them out, and it's the same story in every case."