Quantcast
logo

12-year old football player dies after being bitten by ants

  • A 12-year old football player at a South Texas middle school died after having an allergic reaction to ant bites. The boy suffered multiple bites during halftime of a game on Sept. 11 and died within days after that. 

    Cameron Espinosa first attempted to flush away the ants by using a water bottle but eventually became unconscious. A defibrillator was used on the boy before he was taken to the hospital where he remained in a critical condition until his death on Monday. 

    Spokeswoman for the Corpus Christi Independent School District, Lorette Williams said the eighth grader wasn't aware of his allergy and the school didn't hold any record of it either. She mentioned that the game had resumed after the boy was taken away but later halted when it became clear that his condition was severe. 

    Referring to the boy's jersey number and the colors for the school, the spokeswoman said "students and teachers have been wearing green and white ribbons with the number 66 on them."

    Tagged as: football player died, football player south texas, south texas school, ant allergy, allergic reaction, sports news