Quantcast
logo

BP shuts down Norwegian oil field following leak

  • BP shut a Norwegian oil and gas field on Tuesday in the wake of a potentially dangerous leak.

    The closure comes six days after the incident resulted in an emergency shutdown of the facility.

    "A substantial escape of hydrocarbons occurred on the Ula field in the Norwegian North Sea on 12 September," said the Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA).

    "The PSA considers the incident to have had a substantial potential…The leak arose in the separator module on Ula's production platform," the body added.

    BP said it would not resume production until "the causes of the incident have been clarified and the conditions rectified."

    The oil giant is still trying to restore its reputation after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, America's worst ever.

    BP operates the Ula field with an 80 percent share while Denmark’s Dong Energy owns the remaining 20 percent. The field is relatively small and mature with production levels reaching 11,000 barrels per day this year.