2) Prior to gaining statehood, NM was called as the New Mexico Territory. It was admitted to the Union on January 6, 1912 as the 47th state of the U.S.
4) New Mexico is bordered by Oklahoma, Colorado, Mexico, Texas, and Arizona.
5) The official motto is "It grows as it goes".
6) The official flower is the Yucca.
7) The official gemstone is the Turquoise.
8) Hatch is nicknamed as the "Green Chilli Capital of the World".
9) The most extensive river in the state is the Rio Grande and it covers the whole length of New Mexico.
10) Santa Fe is famous for being the capital city with the highest altitude. It is situated at an elevation of 7,000 feet.
11) The official reptile is the Whiptail Lizard.
12) Famous natives of the state of New Mexico include Judy Blume, Bill Daily, Greer Garson, John Denver, Demi Moore, Neil Patrick Harris, and Jim Morrison.
13) Albuquerque is famous for hosting the biggest hot air balloon fair in the world.
14) The official bird is the Greater Roadrunner.
15) Major industries of the state include manufacturing and tourism.
16) The official anthem is the "O Fair New Mexico".
17) New Mexico is one of the Four Corner States of the U.S. The other three states are Arizona, Utah, and Colorado.
18) With an elevation of 13,161 feet, the Wheeler Peak is the tallest point in New Mexico.
19) The official mammal is the Black Bear and the official fish is the Cutthroat Trout.
20) In 1863, the frontiers of contemporary New Mexico were sketched by the Congress. Nevertheless, it was not incorporated into the United States until 1912.