1) Illinois is nicknamed "The Prairie State".
2) The state of Illinois comprises 102 counties and its capital is Springfield.
4) Prior to Springfield, Vandalia and Kaskaskia also served as the capital of the state.
5) Galena houses the residence of Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th President of the United States.
6) Tampico is the hometown of Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th President of the country.
7) The official motto is "Mile After Magnificent Mile".
8) The tallest point in the state is the Charles Mound. The altitude is 1,235 feet.
9) Saint Patrick's Day is an important festival in the state.
10) The official flower is the Native Violet.
11) The official anthem is "Illinois".
12) The official mammal is the "White-Tailed Deer".
13) The official bird is the Northern Cardinal.
14) The important industries include processed food, machinery and equipment, fishing, publishing, and chemicals.
15) The oldest neighborhood in the state is Peoria.
16) The biggest artificial lake in the state is situated in Carlyle.
17) The official tree is the White Oak.
18) The official dance is the square dance.
19) The state of IL is famous for its diverse climatic conditions.
20) The official fish is the Bluegill.