The Metropolitan Museum of Art has a fine collection of American art. It is the largest art museum in New York City. The museum opened in 1872 while it was relocated and moved to its new location in 1880. Since then, there have been many additions and remodeling of the building.
The museum includes important collections of Babylonian, Greek and Roman art, amongst many others. The collections also include drawings, paintings, prints, etc. and are divided into 19 departments spanning 5,000 years of world culture. The museum houses over two million works of art that are also represented in the ARTstor Digital Library.
Given this wide range of collections and the huge size of the museum, there are a number of suggested itineraries for visitors including two family itineraries for young children.
A branch of the Metropolitan Museum, The Cloisters museum is located in northern Manhattan. It comprises about 2,000 works of art and is devoted to the art and architecture of medieval Europe.
Metropolitan Museum of Art Map
Facts about Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Thomas J. Watson Library, which was built for the staff of the museum in 1964, has one of the most complete reference collections of art and archaeology in the world.
- The first object acquired by the museum in 1870 was a Roman sarcophagus.
- The official mascot for the Metropolitan museum is the ancient Egyptian hippopotamus statuette.
- The architectural plan, which aimed to make the museum more accessible to the public, was completed in 1991.
- The museum began with a collection of only 174 European paintings and is now home to over 2,000 of them.
Where is Metropolitan Museum of Art?
The Metropolitan Museum is located in New York City. Visitors can reach 5th Ave by subway, tour buses or cars. The parking garage never closes but parking discount is available only to members of the museum.
Best time to visit Metropolitan Museum of Art
Any time is a good time to visit the greatest city in the world. The city enjoys excellent weather in summer but there’s no specific best time to visit NYC. However, since the museum is closed on Christmas, it is best to avoid the severe cold in the winter season and visit the city when there’s plenty of sun.
Metropolitan Museum of Art Hours
- Sunday to Thursday: 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 10:00 am-9:00 pm
The museum is closed on the first Monday of May, Thanksgiving, Christmas and January 1.
Metropolitan Museum of Art Tickets
Tickets for adults cost $25 but seniors aged 65 or older can buy tickets at $17. Students can buy tickets for $12 each. Members and children (under 12) can enter for free.