The history of the Taronga Zoo dates back to the year 1912 when the government of New South Wales acquired 43 acres of land on the northern part of the harbor. In 1913, the management of this zoo came into the hands of Taronga Zoological Park Trust. The earlier site of the park was located at the Moore Park. About 552 birds, 228 mammals and 64 reptiles were shifted from the Moore Park to the Taronga Zoo. The Taronga Zoo, Sydney, Australia was however, officially opened on October 7th, 1916.
At present, the Taronga Zoo of Sydney has around 340 species and more than 2600 individual animals. Some of the rare animals at the Taronga Zoo are Australian Lungfish, Green Tree Frog, Asian Brown Tortoise, Tuatara, Elongated Tortoise, Giant Cave Gecko, Veiled Chameleon and Olive Python among many others.
The Taronga Zoo is opened on all days of the year, including the Christmas day from 9.00am to 17.00pm. One can avail the ferry from Circular Quay or take Bus 247 from Wynyard bus station.