When Should I Plan a Visit?
Cavendish Beach on Prince Edward Island experiences a high variance in temperatures. The months of July and August are pleasant with temperatures averaging about 73 F (23 C). This is the best time to visit Cavendish Beach. Winters are harsh with temperatures reaching sub-zero.
Getting to Cavendish Beach
By air: There are two main airports on Prince Edward Island - Charlottetown and Summerside. A number of airlines have services to the island. From the airport, you can hire a car and drive to Cavendish Island. Cavendish Beach is at a distance of about 31 miles from the Charlottetown airport.
By sea: You can avail of the ferry services to Wood Islands from Caribou in Nova Scotia. During the peak season there is a ferry service to Souris from Cap-aux-Meules in Quebec as well. You can reach Cavendish Island by hiring a car from both Cap-aux-Meules.
By road: The Confederation Bridge connects Borden-Carleton in Prince Edward Island to Cape Jourimain, New Brunswick in the mainland. This 8 mile long bridge is the longest in the world to be constructed over ice covered waters.
To get around Cavendish Beach you can rent a car or motorcycle or a bicycle.
Attractions In & Around Cavendish Beach
The three Cavendish Beaches -
- Cavendish Main Beach - This is the main Cavendish Beach. The beach has a complex which has a canteen, changing rooms, and washrooms.
- Cavendish Campground Beach - A perfect family gateway, camping on the beach is an exciting experience. This section of the beach is closer to the national park campground.
- Cavendish Spit - It a barrier beach that protects the opening to New London Bay.
- Ripley's Believe It or Not: You can visit the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum which showcases a Jurassic sized Stegosaurus skeleton and a 20 ft section of the Berlin Wall. There are hundreds of other exhibits on display in about 12 galleries.
- Wax World of the Stars: Located right next to the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum, is a wax museum. Pose with your favorite actors, sport stars, comic character's wax idols. Be it Michael Jordan or Julia Roberts or Pinocchio - you name it and the Wax World of the Stars has it.
- Sandspit Amusement Park: A hit with both adults and kids alike, the amusement park has over 15 different rides. Ride the Ferris Wheel & Cyclone Roller Coaster, cool off on the boats, or head to the golf course.
- Prince Edward Island National Park: The national park has a rich collection of plants, trees, and medicinal herbs. This national park inspired Lucy Maud Montgomery to write her famous novel, Anne of Green Gables.
Cavendish Beach has accommodation facilities for all kinds of travelers. If you are in the mood to splurge, there are luxurious hotels while for the budget travelers there are cottages available.
|Dreams To Sea Cottages|
Abby Lane Motel
Bay Vista Motel
Anne Shirley Motel & Cottages
There are a number of restaurants along the Cavendish Beach which specialize in sea food. Remember to gorge on the juicy oysters, lobsters, or mussels at Cavendish Beach.
|Chez Yvonne's Restuarant|
Sandbox Pub & Eatery
Piping Plover Cafe
Captain Kidd's Dairy Bar & Take-Out
Island's Self-Serve Frozen Yogurt Bar
Sam's Seafood & Grill
Last Updated On : September 11, 2012