The construction of the original Town Hall in the place was started in the year 1402 and completed in 1455. The town hall area had become a administratively important place as kings and dukes were received. Also executions were performed in this very place.
On the 13th of August, 1695, the place was ravaged by bombings under the orders of Louis XIV. In the 16th century itself, the houses and the town hall was rebuilt and this was done in order to modernize the structure. As a heritage site, the owners of the place are now bound to maintain the place in their best possible original state. The preservation success of theis largely due to the efforts made by Karel Bulls, the mayor of Brussels.