Switzerland is the world of celebration and while planning a tour of this enchanting land it is sensible to keep the Carnival seasons in mind. Combat de Reines(cow fighting), Montreux Jazz Festival, National Day etc all assure a festive mood almost all round the year.
Traveling in Switzerland is a completely ecstatic experience for the one who loves to shop. One can indulge oneself with some of the best buys like Clocks, watches, chocolates, crystals, embroidered items, shoes, cheese, liquor, antiques etc.
Maps to Explore More About Switzerland
Traveling by road in Switzerland is easy as the roads are well marked and the directions well given. The public transport system is also good and one can go anywhere via them. The buses charge up to 20 Swiss for every 25 km. With the combination of the lush green and the crystal white snow all around the pleasure of traveling in Switzerland becomes even more pleasant and memorable.
Tourists in Switzerland are all mainly attracted to the landscape of green meadows and white snow. Switzerland has perhaps, been best portrayed in the movie 'The Sound of Music' making its beauty immortal in peoples heart.
The snow capped Alps, the lakes, forest and the trails in them all together create a picturesque view. The scenic countryside with meadows and farms is complemented by the developed yet beautiful cities which assure the tourists of all the modern amenities. Tourism is a major industry in Switzerland and therefore, quite naturally tourists in Switzerland are provided with the best kind of provisions.
The enterprising Swiss people are well aware of their assets and therefore they take good care to maintain it. They are very cordial towards their tourists and adopt all possible methods to make their stay a successful and a memorable one. Tourists in Switzerland need not worry about accommodation; rather they have a host of hotels and resorts to choose from. Rooms of any kind and any budget are available keeping in mind the different social backgrounds of the people. The tourists can pamper themselves in some of the best resorts here in Switzerland. Traveling is also made easy by the tourism Department of Switzerland. Roads are well marked and directions properly given, so if one decides to self-drive down the Swiss countryside it is completely safe and swift. Even public transport is Comfortable. The buses run all across and can take you to any part of the country.
The Federal Republic of the Swiss Confederation has 26 Cantons all of which are unique but are integrated by the thread of natural beauty which makes a Switzerland tour even more tempting. Switzerland is the land of beauty and the celebration of it. Nature has unveiled all its treasure in this European multi lingual country.
The major places that one must touring Switzerland are:
- Bern : The capital city of Switzerland, Bern is located on the river Aare in the West of the Country. The beautiful city of Bern can be divided into three different sections according to their topography. Firstly, the Bernese Alps or Oberland with a number of peaks. This area has a number of resorts.
Secondly, the Finsteraarhorn and Jungfrau which are mainly valley areas with pastures and lush Green Valleys. Finally is the Mittelland lying in the Northern foothills of the Alps.
- Chateau de Chillon : Mainly a historical site, the Chillon Castle is a vey popular location in Switzerland. The castle, belonging to the 11 th Century stands right on the lake Geneva.
- Jungfrau Region: The peak of Jungfrau is the nucleus of a number of enchanting sites in Switzerland. The "greens and Gold" of the nearby hills and valleys. The highest rail trip in Europe ,also known to be the best because of the scenic beauty, takes you up to this land of beauty.
- Great St Bernard Pass Hospice Museum :This museum mainly portrays the 11 th Century religious vocation and rescue work of the monks.
If you are planning to move in Switzerland for business or visit know how to get a Switzerland visa. Visa is an official permit to get entry to a Switzerland. Visitors from some countries are not required to possess a visa for stays up to 90 days in Switzerland. These countries are
- EU countries, Australia, Canada, Japan and US
- Countries in South and Central America (except Belize, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru)
- Caribbean island states (except Cuba, Dominican Republic and Haiti)
- Countries of Croatia, Cyprus, Israel, Kiribati, Andorra, Brunei, Korea (Rep. Of), Estonia, Fiji, Hungary, Iceland, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, New Zealand, Czech Republic, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Tuvalu and Vatican City
- Countries of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey and Serbia & Montenegro do not need a visa if they are citizens of Canada, Iceland, Norway, USA or EU countries.
If you require a Switzerland visa apply to the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Switzerland covering your region. Generally it takes only 24 hours to issue the Switzerland visa if you submit all valid documents along with the application form. Visitors are recommended to apply for the visa 1 week prior to their journey. Sometimes the entire procedure may take 6 to 10 weeks for the Switzerland authorities' approval.
Documents required for Switzerland visa
- 3 copies of completely filled application form
- 1 recent passport size photo
- At least 3 months valid passport or travel documents
- Evidence of sufficient fund to support yourself in Switzerland in the form of recent bank statement
- Letter of confirmation from the employer
- In case of student visa a letter of acceptance from the concerned academic institution
- Visa fees, the amount depends on your nationality
Trains in Switzerland
Switzerland trip is incomplete without a journey on the trains of Switzerland . Switzerland trains are famous for its punctuality and the A class transportation service that it provides. Switzerland provides one with the option of traveling in a high speed train, the funicular trains and cogwheel trains . The train journey in Switzerland is not only comfortable but also pleasurable. Tourists from all over the world come here to get a taste of the magnificent journey on wheels across the hills and the mountains. The trains mostly availed by the tourist to get such a pleasurable journey are the Bernina Express and the Glacier Express . To travel in a train in Switzerland, the Swiss pass are the convenient and authentic tickets that one must opt for. Train tickets are also available at all major railway stations in Switzerland.
Names of some trains that add to the excitement of the train tours in Switzerland are given below:
- Swiss Chocolate Train : this train runs between the Montreux, Bernois and Oberland Railwa y. This train runs between the months of June and October from Montreux and takes to the Cailler-Nestle chocolate factory . It stops at the Gruyeres Cheese factory . This train not only trails through the beautiful sceneries on the route but also gives you a taste of chocolates and cheese and makes your journey more memorable.
- Glacier Express : this train route traverses the Swiss Alps and is often referred to as the "world's Slowest Train" . This train covers a distance of 169 miles , passes through 291 bridges and 91 tunnels. The speed of Glacier Express is 22 miles per hour . The spectacular view through the windows of this train offers a panoramic view of the Alps.
- Funicular Railway s: this rail route is a combination of rails and pulleys. This rail system is usually used in the hilly and rugged areas and on the steep slopes of the mountain where normal rails cannot be operated.
- Cogwheel Railway : this rail system is also referred to as the "Rack and Pinion" they have horizontal gears in the coaches and have toothed gear wheels which helps in the ascent on steep slopes without a danger of slipping down. Hence the rail system in Switzerland is not only time saving but is also exciting and the most interesting and convenient way to travel all through Switzerland .
Switzerland can best be explored in rental cars. Rental cars provide in and out state services within and around the country. Especially the beautiful scenery of the Alps draws a number of tourists, mountaineers, hikers and adventurers every year. Also the scenic of Switzerland is a great source for cinematographic excellence. Furthermore Switzerland is a grand honeymoon destination. In addition Swiss valley is full of museums, and architectural beauties. For all the above reasons Swiss land accommodates a huge number of travelers every year. Rental cars of Switzerland provide services to the airports, from airports to hotels, and also in and around country services to different tourist attractions. Rental cars are essential to visit the enormous natural beauty of Switzerland.
Following types of rental cars provide services in Switzerland:-
Following types of rental cars provide services to Switzerland:-
Rental cars are the best availing transportation to discover Switzerland.
|Largest Cities in Switzerland|
|Places to Visit in Switzerland||Location|
|Hochschulen/Zurich Opera House||Zurich|
|Lake Sils||St Moritz,Maloggia|
|Swiss National Park||Zernez|
|The Tropical Alps||Ticino|
|Campsites in Switzerland||Location|
|Gstaad Mountain Rides||Gstaad|
|Lindner Grand Hotel Beau Rivage||Interlaken|
|Matterhorn ski paradise||Zermatt|