is an ancient city of Sri Lanka
. Polonnaruwa lies 216 km north-east of Colombo, the present capital of Sri Lanka
Polonnaruwa had been the Sri Lankan Capital in ancient times
from 11th century AD to
13th Century AD.
This place was home to eminent kings such as King Aggabodhi IV, King Vijayabahu I, King Naissankamalla and King Parakramabahu.
Sight Seeing Destinations in Polonnaruwa
|Distance of Polonnaruwa from Important Cities
- Distance of Polonnaruwa from Kandy: 140 kms
- Distance of Polonnaruwa from Anuradhapura: 104kms
- Distance of Polonnaruwa from Colombo: 216 kms
- Lahugala National Park : This National Park was made with the objective of sheltering elephants that move between Ruhuna Reserve Forest in the south to Gal Oya in the North.
- Gal Oya National Park: This park is so named because it comprises an artificial lake by the name of Senanayake Sea which was made by damming the Gal Oya river.
Other important places of tourist interest in Polonnaruwa include Pottuvil and Arugam Bay, Parakrama Samudra, Shiva Davale I, Shiva Davale II, The Vatadage, Nissanka Lata, Satmahal Prasada, Council Chambers, The Thuparama, Hatadage, Gallpotha, Pabulu Vehera, Potgul Vihara, Tivanka Image House,Lotus bath, Gal Vihare, Demala Maha Seya, Kiri Vehara, Lankathikale and Rankot Vehera.