Facts About Idrija
Idrija economy is primarily based on mining industry and tourism. Idrija is the second largest mercury mining industry in Slovenia since 500 years. The mining factories of Idrija serve as the main source of employment for the locals. Kolektor, Rotomatika and Ydria Motors are some of the well known companies in Idrija for producing electronic goods and furnitures.
Attractions in Idrija
- Idrija features some of the finest attractions of Slovenia. Anthony's Shaft is the oldest division of the mine in Slovenia since 1500 years is a popular tourist destination in Idrija.
- The wonderful Gewerkenegg Castle is another must see destination in Idrija. With its gothic architecture and stunning backdrop, Gewerkenegg Castle is a prominent landmark in the city of Idrija. This castle was claimed as the industrial and technical heritage museum of Europe in 1997. The castle yard also hosts the summer cultural events of Idrija.
- Idrija is also popular for its tradition of lace-making. This form of craft is available there for 300 years and each year Idrija hosts the famous traditional Lace Festival that attracts the huge number of visitors from all corners of the world.
- The church of Holy Trinity is another site in Idrija that was established in 1500.
- Franciska mine shaft and the wild lake of Divje jezero are some other must see sites in Idrija.