Rwandese Patriotic Front
or named as RPF Rwanda
is the leading political party of Rwanda. RPF Rwanda
is one of the oldest parties in Rwanda. It was formed in the back drop of the massive killings and the genocides in Rwanda in order to ensure peace in Rwanda by uniting the people of Rwanda and the refugees. It was then called Rwandese Alliance for National Unity or RANU and was formed in 1979. In 1987 RANU or Rwandese Alliance for National Unity
turned to Rwandese Patriotic Front or RPF.
The RPF was launched keeping in mind certain particular objectives. The main objectives of the Rwandese Patriotic Front
- Executing a foreign policy helpful for the promotion of common benefit, equality, and peaceful co- existence between different countries of Rwanda.
- To establish an active democratic system.
- To re-establish the Rwandese refugees
- To pursue a policy that would foster national unity and welfare of all the sections of Rwanda
- Make arrangements of proper security for all the people of Rwanda
- To abolish corruption from all the levels of government and to make it a healthy one.
- To build such kinds of economy that will integrate all the sectors and will be equally helpful for the people living below the poverty line. In one words the economy should be self sufficient.
- To introduce social reforms that will be beneficial to all the sections of people of Rwanda.
When the war for national liberation was going on in Rwanda the RPF and Democratic Republic of Congo in 1991 signed N'sele Ceasefire Agreement. This agreement took certain special measures like the withdrawal of foreign troops, political negotiations, exchange of prisoners of war and maintaining peace in the country.