Fictional works comprise of novels, short stories, fables, fairy tales, films, comics, science fiction, animation, video games. By fiction books we generally refer to literature and fictional prose . Thus in this sense, fiction refers only to stories that have no roots to the real world but at the same time take its resource from the real world of men and women.
Fiction books are divided into two categories:
- Popular fiction (e.g., science fiction, mystery fiction, or romance novels)
- Literary fiction (e.g., Marcel Proust or William Faulkner)
The purpose of writing fiction books:
- Fiction books are written for the purpose of educating. For example, fiction stories (especially science fiction) are used in school textbooks.
- Fiction may be written to iterate certain beliefs and values and to make a record of the social norms.
- Fables had been written to impart a moral lesson
Categories of fiction books
- Flash fiction: less than 2,000 words
- Short story: at least 2,000 words but within7,500 words
- Novelette: at least 7,500 words but under 17,500 words
- Novella: at least 17,500 words but not more than 60,000 words
- Novel: 60,000 words or more
- Epic: 200,000 words or more
Elements of fiction
- antagonist: the character opposite to the protagonist
- climax: the story's highest point of tension or drama
- plot: a related series of events revealed in narrative
- protagonist: the central character of a story
- scene: a piece of the story showing the action of one event
- setting: the locale and time of a story
- structure: the organization of story elements
- theme: the topic of the story