The city of Huancayo in Peru is most famous for its Sunday market. The rural folk assemble in a single market and buying and selling goes on throughout the day. Foreigners find this market quite reasonable and the variety available is quite amazing. The Sunday market at Huancayo Peru is a repertoire of hand crafted objects ranging from embroideries to sweaters, ceramics to wood sculptures.
The main tourist attractions in Huancayo in Peru are the following:
- Capilla de la Merced- A chapel constructed during the colonial period has the status of a national monument. The historical significance of this building is of much importance. The Peruvian Constitution was signed here by the Constitutional Congress in 1839.
- Cerrito de la Libertad- A spot from which the whole city can be viewed at one glance.
- Torre Torre- An interesting formation of huge towers made from clayey soil shaped by the natural forces like wind and rain.
- Convento de Santa Rosa de Ocopa- The convent houses a library which has a large collection of books.
- Plaza Constitucion- The monuments at this place were built in honor of the Cadiz Liberal Constitution as well as to Mariscal Ramon Castilla, the one responsible for abolition of slavery in Huancayo in Peru.
- Plaza Huamanga- The site where Huancayo Peru was founded in1572.
- Museo Salesiano_ The place with a varied collection of the plants and animals of Huancayo in Peru.