Mauritius Population is estimated to be around 1,250,882 by the end of July 2007. In the year 2000, the population of the main island was 1,157,290 whereas the population of Rodriguez was about 35,885. The median age of the total population of Mauritius is 31.2 years.
Males have a median age of 30.3 years while females have a median age of 32.1 years.
The age structure of the Mauritius People, as per the statistics taken in 2007, is as follows:
- 23.5% people are under the age group of 0-14 years, which include 147,808 males and 146,270 females
- 69.8% people fall within the age group of 15-64 years, among which 436,043 are males and 437,441 are females
- 6.7% people are categorized under the age group of 65 years and above, which comprises 32,475 males and 50,845 females
Family planning services were introduced to the Mauritius Population in the year 1972 by the Ministry of Health. It was also supported by many non governmental associations. This helped in reducing the birth rate of the country. The Mauritius population growth rate is 0.798%. The birth rate of the people of Mauritius is that of 15.26 births per 1000 population while the death rate is 6.88 deaths per 1000 population. The net migration rate of the Mauritius population is -0.4 migrants per 1000 population.
The sex ratio of the population in Mauritius is given below:
- The sex ratio of the total population of Mauritius is 0.971 males for every female
- The ratio during birth is that of 1.02 males per female
- The ratio among all those who are under the age of 15 years, is 1.011 males per female
- The sex ratio of the people under the age group of 15-64 years is 0.997 males per female
- The ratio among people belonging to the age group of 65 years and above is 0.639 males per female
The infant mortality rate, according to the statistics taken on 2007, is 14.14 deaths for every 1000 live births. The infant mortality rate among the male citizens is 16.72 deaths for every 1000 live births. The infant mortality rate among females is 11.53 deaths for 1000 live births. The life expectancy at birth of the total Mauritian population is 72.88 years. The life expectancy for the males at birth is 68.92 years while in case of females it is 76.9 years.
The predominant religions that are observed by the Mauritian people, according to the 2000 census, include the following:
- Hinduism 48%
- Islam 16.6%
- Roman Catholicism 23.6%
- Other forms of Christianity 8.6%
- unspecified 0.3%
- Other 2.5%
- None 0.4%
The total fertility rate of the Mauritius population is 1.94 children born per woman, as per the 2007 census. The fertility rate was 2.02 children born per woman while the infant mortality rate was 17.73 deaths for every 1000 live births.
According to the 2000 census, the languages spoken by the Mauritius Population are listed below;
- Creole - 80.5%
- English, which is also the official language - 1%
- French - 3.4%
- Bhojpuri - 12.1%
- Unspecified - 0.3%
- Other - 3.7%
The nationality of the Mauritius population is Mauritian. Many ethnic groups are surviving in Mauritius, like, the Creoles (27%), Indo-Mauritians (68%), Franco-Mauritians (2%) and Sino-Mauritians (3%).