Jurbakas in Lithuania is located in the county of Taurage. River Nemunas, the longest river in Lithuania, flows past it. It lies very close to the point where the river Nemunas merges with its tributaries Imsre and Mituva.
The city of Jurbarkas is also known by the name of Yurbarkas. Jurbarkas is an ancient city. The annals which record the city's existence show it to be the city of Kunos, the famous prince of Lithuanian legends. The mention of the city was first made in 1259 ias the Teutonic Knights Ordensburg Castle of Georgenburg in the fables. The city has been, since ancient times, been inhabited by people from diverse ethnic groups. In the 17th century the town was the home to a sizable section of the Jewish population. It was also the center of the Jewish Enlightenment.
Following the independence of Lithuania in post First World War, the city of Jurbarkas was incorporated within the Raseinai County. The town was occupied by the Soviet armies during the Soviet invasion of Lithuania. The town slowly recovered from the after effects of the two World Wars. In the late 1970s, a bridge was built over River Nemunas. This contributed significantly to the overall development of the region as it was now connected to the rest of the province and the country.