|most favored destinations for leisure and business travel. The infrastructure is superbly modern and the facilities offered are numerous. Hong Kong can be viewed individually or as part of a package tour of China. Hong Kong Package travel includes visits to the main island attractions,
numerous heritage walks and tours, hiking or biking tours and shopping centers.
Popular tourist destinations on Hong Kong Island
- Golden Bauhinia Square for the special Flag Raising Ceremony.
- Ocean Park for a fun filled family entertainment
- Jumbo Floating Restaurant in Aberdeen Harbor for classic Chinese cuisine.
Maps to Explore More About Hong Kong
Places to visit in Kowloon
- The beautiful Kowloon Walled City Park.
- Cheung Sha Wan Fashion Street and Apliu Street Flea Market.
- Yuen Po Street Songbird Market, the Kowloon Flower Market in Mong Kok and the Goldfish Market on Tung Choi Street.
- Sik Sik Yuen Wong Tai Sin Temple which supports all three faiths - Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism.
Hong Kong Travel Guide - Here are some tips and things to remember while traveling in Hong Kong.
While people in Hong Kong, especially in the Hotels, restaurants and shopping establishments, speak English, it is recommended that travelers carry either a Hong Kong Travel Guide or a ready reckoner to avoid getting lost or misled. English speaking policemen have red shoulder tags. HKTA staff wears color coded badges to indicate the languages they know. For the less adventurous or those traveling to Hong Kong for the first time, most hotels and travel agencies offer Hong Kong Package Travel or local guided tours with a guide proficient in English.
Clothes should be packed keeping the subtropical climate in mind -
- Spring (March to May) - Tourists should carry light jackets or sweaters to combat the slight chill.
- Summer (June to September) - Casual Cotton Clothing is recommended. Since the humidity is high and rains are frequent, it is advisable to carry an umbrella or a light raincoat.
- Autumn (October to December) - Clear weather is expected, travelers can carry light clothing and light jackets.
- Winter (January to February) - Travelers can pack in suits, warm clothing and light overcoats, weather remains cool and humidity is low.
Hong Kong Hotels are the ultimate in luxury. High end options include the Peninsula with its opulent old world style and the swanky modern Metropark. The Budget travelers prefer the Salisbury for its affordable rent and convenient location. Autumn is the peak tourist season and room rates can be exorbitant.
Public Transportation options are many and are extremely convenient. Tourists are recommended to purchase an Octopus Payment Card, available for prices ranging from HKD 150 to a maximum of HKD 1000. It is useful for payment on public transportation, vending machines and even some local food joints.
- Taxis Cabs are easily available and very comfortable. It is worth noting that taxi cabs usually serve a specific area or district - Red Taxis ply in Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, Green Taxis run in New Territories and Blue Taxis serve Lantau Island.
- Bus Service - Hong Kong has a well developed public and tourist bus service. Brilliantly colored double decker buses and yellow and red striped minibuses travel to most destinations.
- Yellow and green maxicabs ply on fixed routes.
- Train Service - The Kowloon Canton Railway, the Mass Transit Railway and the Light Rail Transit lines criss cross all over Hong Kong and are convenient and comfortable for travel.
- Tram Service - The Victoria Peak tram is ultramodern and travels on a vertical track.
- Ferry Service - Star Ferry and Hong Kong Ferry services offer scenic rides between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.
- Cable Car Rides can be taken from Ocean Park to Hong Kong Island.
- Rickshaws are a popular tourist attraction at the Ferry Point on Hong Kong Island.
- Bicycles are a ubiquitous form of travel and can be rented cheaply almost everywhere. Some of the roads are restricted for biking to avoid congestion.