Urmas Tamm is the present governor of the county. Laane-Viru is divided into a total of 13 rural municipalities and two urban municipalities. The history of Laane-Viru dates back to 8000 years.
There are a large number of tourist attractions in Laane-Viru County. They are:
- Sagadi Manor: This carries the architectural expertise of the bygone days and is located in the Lahemaa National Park.
- Palmse Manor: Situated in the Lahemaa National Park, it is surrounded by lakes, parks and rare species of trees.
- Kasmu Marine Museum: It is located in the village of Kasmu in the building of cordon.
The other places include:
- Kiltsi Castle and the Room of the Admiral
- Tower Stronghold of Vao
- Neeruti Landscape Reserve
- Altja, which is a fishing village
- Porkuni Limestone Museum
- The Town of Rakvere