The written history of the region of Zdar nad Sazavou can be traced back to the 13th century. It was in the year 1607 that the region received the status of a town on the request of the Cardinal Frantisek from Ditrichstejn. The most reputed monumental and religious site in the region is the Zdar's Cistercian Monastery. The church was reconstructed and designed Jan Blazej Santini Aichl in the 18th century. Another church designed by the same architect is the St. Jan Nepomucky's Church at Zelena Hora which has been listed as one of the world's cultural heritage by UNESCO.
With the changes in infrastructure in the 21st century, Zdar nad Sazavou has emerged as one of the important commercial and administrative centers of Czech Republic.