or Al Mukha or Mokha town is a port city in the southwestern part of Yemen, which lies close to the Red Sea and Tihamah coastal plain region. Mocha town is the most significant and well-known port of Yemen, with an open anchorage of 1.5 miles offshore.
The town of Mocha is well-known all over the world for Mocha coffee brand, which derived its name from this town. This high-brand of coffee was grown in the Yemen highlands and exported to various foreign countries through the port of Mocha. This is how the coffee got its name from the town. Mocha town was an important trading centre for Indian and Egyptian traders who came down to the port for the Yemeni coffee. Coffee exports for the Middle Eastern and European countries were exported via the town of Mocha during the 15th century.
The town of Mocha was handed over to the Ottoman rulers in the year 1636. It flourished greatly during the 17th and 18th centuries and in 1849 it again became a part of the Ottoman Empire. After the British moved their operational base to the port town of Mocha, the prosperity of this town declined since Aden became the chief port of British operations.
The port was reconstructed in the early 1980's and most of the town is now in ruins. The port of Mocha now handles small vessels and its past glory has declined significantly.