Al Mukalla was once the capital of the Qaiti State of Hadramaout, which was once ruled by the Sultans. In 1967, it became a part of South Yemen and then a division of the Republic of Yemen. Earlier, the city of Al Mukalla was stationed between the sea and the volcanic mountains of Djebel Qara, which provided an excellent sight.
One of the remarkable sites in the Al Mukalla city is the Husn al-Ghuwazyi, which is a small fortress, built in the year 1884. The fortress is positioned on a hill at the end of the town. The fortress is an excellent example of Yemeni architectural form. Another remarkable spot is Burum, which is an old fishermen village, located 30km west of Al Mukalla city.
The city of Al Mukalla is largely dependent on its sea and port for its economic growth.