Some of the major tourist attractions in Manila include the following:
- Casa Manila - This city provides a glimpse of Manila, when in the 19th century, it was under the dominance of the Spanish invaders.
- Manila Cathedral - Constructed in 1951, this cathedral is one of the major attractions in the capital city of Philippines. The cathedral is recommended to be visited during the afternoon, when the rays of the sun fall directly on the stained glass panes and present a spectacular sight to the visitors.
- Malacanang Palace - This is one of the most popular attractions at Manila, Philippines. It is a historical landmark in the city as it is the official residence of the President of the country.
- San Augustin Church - This is an ancient church in Manila that has a museum in its premises along with a lavishly spread garden.
- Fort Santiago - Manila's historical landmark, Fort Santiago was a famous walled city during the Spanish rule.
- Rizal Park - The Rizal Park in Manila has a strong historical significance. It served as the execution ground for the Spaniards.
- The Chinese Cemetery - This is an extremely interesting place to visit in Manila. Visiting this place gives a clear idea that Chinese believe in life after death.
Apart from these major places of tourist attractions, Manila, there are many other places too that are worth visiting in the city. A list of some of the popular destinations in Manila is as follows:
Manila museumsManila museums throw a deep light on the art and culture of the city of Manila. There are a large number of museums in Manila. There are museums on contemporary art, architecture and design, science and technology, history and culture and sculpture.
Some of the well-known museums of Manila are as follows:
Parks and Gardens in ManilaThe parks and gardens in Manila are one of the popular attractions of the city. They are visited by a large number of locals as well as tourists especially during evening time. Some of the parks are also used for picnics.
Some of the well-known parks and gardens of Manila City are:
Rizal ParkThe Rizal Park is a popular tourist destination of Manila City that is ideally located at the northern end of Roxas Boulevard. It is 500 meters long and 250 meters wide. This park lies next to Intramuros.
It overlooks the famous Manila Bay. This park was previously known by the names of Luneta and Bagumbayan. It has beautiful gardens, fountains, a grand stadium, plazas, an open-air concert hall, an observatory, a light-and-sound theatre, an artists' sanctuary and restaurants.
The Rizal Park of Manila City was built to pay a tribute to the national hero, Jose Rizal. He was a novelist and doctor, who was shot by the firing squad on 30th December, 1896 at this place. He was executed on account of initiating a rebellion against the Spanish government. The Philippine Independence from American rule was declared over here on 4th June, 1946. This has also been the site for 1986 political rallies of Ferdinand Marcos and Corazon Aquino.
San Agustin MuseumSan Agustin Museum is located at Intramuros in Manila. Originally, the museum was a monastery, which was used by the Augustinians. It is spread across two floors. The shape of the museum in Manila is that of a square. It has a huge courtyard in the center. There is a huge bell weighing 3400 kg in the museum.
Metropolitan Museum of ArtMetropolitan Museum of Art, Manila is one of the prime tourist attractions of the city of Manila. This museum of Manila is known for its exquisite collection of artworks. One will get to see both traditional and contemporary art works over here. There are four exhibit halls that display:
- contemporary arts
- architectural design works
- urban planning works
- fashion works
- Catwalk Gallery
- Upper Level Gallery
- Tall Galleries
Pagsanjan FallsPagsanjan Falls is one of the prime natural attractions located southwest of Manila. Manila Pagsanjan Falls is situated at a distance of 60 kilometers from Manila. It takes 9 hours to reach the falls from Manila.
Visitors are advised to leave early in order to enjoy the natural beauty of the falls. Travelers from all over the world visit the waterfalls and the river in order to explore the natural beauty of the place. Canoe ride is one of the various options though which the landscape of the place can be explored. The Pagsanjan Falls can be reached by the South Luzon Expressway from Manila.