Map of Kolkata Education
|List of Educations in Kolkata|
|Apeejay School||Army Public School||BD Memorial Institute|
|Birla High School||North Point Secondary School||Bengal Institute of Technology|
|Calcutta Institute of Engineering & Management||Future Institute of |
Engineering & Management
|Gurunanak Institute of Technology|
|Netaji Subhash Engineering College||Institute of Jute Technology||Institute of Engineering & Management|
Education in Kolkata has undergone reformation since the British period. The British introduced western education and Bengal showed keen interest to the new system and subjects. A number of educational institutions in Kolkata were established as a result of this educational movement where Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar and Raja Ram Mohan Roy actively participated.
Schools in Kolkata
The schools in Kolkata can be categorized as boys or girls school or co educational. Admission to the schools of Kolkata starts at the age of three plus. There are some schools in Kolkata which are residential and some schools follow the curriculum of the National Open School.
Universities in Kolkata
The nine universities of Kolkata are:
- University of Kolkata (Senate House, 87 /1 College Street, Kolkata)
- Rabindra Bharati University (56A, Barrackpore Trunk Road Kolkata)
- Jadavpur University (188 Raja S. C. Mullick Road, Jadavpur Kolkata)
- West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Sciences
- Netaji Subhas Open University (1 Woodburn Park Kolkata)
- West Bengal University of Technology (BF - 142 Salt Lake, Kolkata)
- Indian Statistical Institute (203 Barrackpore Trunk Road, Kolkata)
- West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences
- Bengal Engineering & Science University
Colleges in Kolkata
Colleges play a major role in the development of education in Kolkata. There are different colleges in Kolkata offering various degree and diploma courses to the students.
- IT Colleges
- Engineering Colleges
- Dental Colleges
- Management Colleges
- Polytechnic Colleges
- Law Colleges
- Pharmacy Colleges
- Medical Colleges
- Homeopathy Colleges
- Hotel Management
- Mass Communication
Universities in Kolkata
There are a number of Universities in Kolkata. Each of them provides standardized higher education to the residents of Kolkata as well as to the people from outside this metropolitan city. Several universities are spread all over Kolkata.
Among the above mentioned Universities in Kolkata, Calcutta University is the oldest institution of higher education. In the year 1857, during the British rule this university was founded. It offers a wide number of post graduation courses to the students.
University of Calcutta also gives affiliation to many of the renowned Kolkata colleges that include Presidency, St. Xavier's, Sivanath Sastri, Ashutosh, Lady Brabourne and Gokhale College. In this famous university, students can pursue higher studies in humanities, commerce and science subjects. Apart from this, Post-Graduation Diploma courses are also offered here along with Technology and Engineering courses.
Jadavpur University is another prominent university of Calcutta. It is indeed one of the best universities in Kolkata. Only meritorious students get chance to study over here. On December, 24, 1955
officially this university was set up. It is mainly popular for its Engineering Department. However, other Departments also have highly educated faculty members. The cultural activities performed by the University students also deserve appreciation.
Apart from this, there is Rabindra Bharati University which was set up in memory of the world famous poet Rabindranath Tagore. It was established in 1962. Along with regular courses, it also provides distance learning courses. The Arts faculty of this university is highly qualified.
Besides this, Netaji Subhas Open University also deserves mention. The Open University was founded in 1997. It provides around 145 study centers, where pupils can opt for a number of correspondence courses. Bachelor's Degree, Master Degree and Diploma programs- all can be studied over here.
On the other hand, for studying law, West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences is indeed one of the best options, whereas, for pursuing Engineering courses, students can choose Bengal Engineering and Science University.
Colleges in Kolkata
Colleges in Kolkata are the main institutions of higher education. A huge number of colleges are spread all over this metropolitan city of Calcutta. Some of these colleges are government-owned, whereas some other are privately-owned institutions. However, all those colleges are connected with a regional university. Here, the universities looks after the examination-related procedures of those colleges.
In 1817, Presidency College was established in Calcutta as the first sciences and liberal arts college. On the other hand, the Scottish Church College was also established in Kolkata in 1830.
Some other well-known colleges in Kolkata include:
- St. Xaviers College
- Lady Brabourne College
- Bethune College
- Ashutosh College
- Armenian College and Philanthropic Academy
- Behala College
- Shree Sikshayatan College
- Charu Chandra College
- Bhawanipur Education Society College
- Maulana Azad College
- Jogeshchandra Chaudhuri College
- hidderepore College
- Muralidhar Girls College
- New Alipore College
- Ram Krishna Mission College
- Rani Birla Girls College
- Bangabasi College
- Acharya Jogadish Chandra Bose College
- Bidhannagar College
- Sarojini Naidu College
- Vidyasagar College
In most of these colleges different types of study courses are offered to the eligible candidates. In Kolkata, one will also find a number of good law colleges, such as, National University of Juridical Studies, Surendranath Law College, South Calcutta Law College, Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri Law College and several others.
With the course of time, a huge number of engineering colleges (Narula Institute of Technology, Bengal Institute of Technology, Institute of Engineering and Management, Saint Thomas College of Engineering etc.), technological institutions (College Of Ceramic Technology, Institute Of Jute Technology, Bengal Institute Of Technology and so on) and medical colleges (National Medical College, RG Kar Medical College, Nilratan Sircar Medical College etc.) are cropping up in Kolkata.
Schools of Kolkata
The schools of Kolkata impart formal education to students. The schools can be categorized mainly as English medium and Bengali medium schools. The English medium schools of Kolkata are either affiliated to the Indian Council of Secondary Education Delhi (ICSE) or to the Central Board of Secondary Education Delhi (CBSE). However some of the English medium schools are also affiliated to the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education. Most of the schools begin at the kinder garden level.
Admissions to Calcutta schools generally start in the month of December and January and the sessions begin in March or April. Every year students are required to qualify the annual examinations conducted by the school, only after which a child is promoted to the higher class. However kinder garden and lower nursery children are exempted from this rule. Besides, the schools also conduct half yearly, quarterly and unit tests in the higher classes to rate the progress of all pupils.
ICSE Schools in Kolkata
- Don Bosco School (Park Circus)
- Julien Day School (Elgin Road)
- Loreto Day School (Sealdah)
- St Lawrence High School (Barua Sarani)
- St Xaviers Collegiate School (Park Street)
- Carmel High School (Jodhpur Park)
- MP Birla Foundation School (James Long Sarani)
- La Martinere Girls School (Minto Park)
- Kolkata Boys School (Corporation Street)
- Delhi Public School (Megacity, 24 Parganas)
CBSE Schools in Kolkata
- Ashok Hall Girls Higher Secondary School (Sarat Bose Road)
- BD Memorial Institute (Mallick Road)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (Fort William)
- Jewish Girls School (Park Street)
- Gopal Chakraborty Public School (Panchasayar)
- Indira Gandhi Memorial High School (Dum Dum)
- Dav Public School (Diamond Harbour Road)
- BD Memorial Institute (Mallick Road)
- Apeejay School (Park Street)
West Bengal Board Schools in Kolkata
- Gokhale Memorial Girls School (Harish Mukherjee Road)
- Hindi High School (Moira Street)
- Kamala Girls High School (Lake Road)
- Scottish Church Collegiate School (Bidhan Sarani)
- South Point School (Mandevilla Garden)
- St Pauls School (Kolkata)
- Sakhwat Memorial Girls High School (Lord Sinha Road)
- Narendrapur Ramakrishna Mission School (24 Parganas)