The various attractions of Kochi are spread all over the city. Kochi has a rich traditional as well as cultural history, which is reflected in the various places of interest in the city. The city also bears many colonial remnants, as Kochi had been dominated by several invaders in old times.
Some of the most important tourist attractions in Kochi are as follows:
- Willington Island - One of the most popular attractions at Kochi, the Willington Island is a place that has many plush hotels. The Kochi Harbor can also be accessed easily from the Island. The Island is also well-connected to Ernakulam. There is also an artificial lake that is the prime attraction of the place.
- Chinese Fishing Nets - This is one of the unique attractions at Kochi. There are large fishing nets along the entire coastline of Kochi. Till date many fishermen use these nets for fishing in the Arabian Sea.
- Mattancherry - Located at a distance of 10 kilometers from Kochi, Mattancherry has a beautiful Dutch Palace that is the prime attraction of the place. There are large numbers of mural paintings that are decorated on the walls of the palace.
- Cherai Beach - Not all beaches in Kochi are safe for swimming, but Cherai Beach at the northern fringe of the Vypeen Island is a swimmers paradise. There are long stretches for of coconut trees along the coast.
- St Francis Church - The St Francis Church, in Fort Cochin is one of the oldest churches in India. Dating back to the colonial times from the 15th century, this church was the first European church that was constructed in India.
- Cheeyappara Waterfalls - A great place for trekking in Kochi, the Cheeyappara Waterfalls is a favorite destination for adventure tourists. It is located amidst Neriamangalam and Adimali by the Kochi-Madurai Highway.
- Paradesi Synagogue - It is a synagogue that was built in the mid-16th century and is the oldest synagogue in the Commonwealth. The structure has wonderful paintings and hanging lamps. Visited by innumerable tourists annually, this is one of the favorite tourist destinations in Kochi.