Maps of World
We do magic to Maps
World Map / Burkina / Burkina Faso Society and Culture

Burkina Faso Society and Culture





Burkina Faso society and culture is an extremely interesting topic of investigation and study. A French-speaking country in West Africa, Burkina Faso has many ethnic groups and tribes that make up the society of the country.
Burkina Faso society and culture mainly consists of various ethnic tribes and groups. Mossi is the primary ethnic group that makes up almost 40% of the total population. The rest 60% of the population is made up of Lobi, Mande, Fulani, Senufo, Gurunsi and Bobo tribes. Islam is the predominant religion in the country followed by people following indigenous beliefs and customs. French is the official language but people also speak Sudani language along with 66 other languages.

The country was initially under French dominance and attained liberation in 1960. The country also faced several political and civil disorders. Several reforms were carried out in the society of Burkina Faso to bring the conditions to normal.

Though the country is poor and under developed, culture in Burkina Faso is rich and myriad. The warm and hospitable behavior of the general people has made the country lovable to many tourists. The various tribes and clans have a distinct culture and tradition of their own that is evident throughout the country. The most important part of the society is that there is immense harmony and integrity that binds people with each other. The capital of Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou is a cultural hub. It hosts the festival of African Films annually along with the International Arts Festival in the country.

A French-speaking country in West Africa, Burkina Faso has many ethnic groups and tribes that make up the society of the country. Burkina Faso society and culture mainly consists of various ethnic tribes and groups. Mossi is the primary ethnic group that makes up almost 40% of the total population. The rest 60% of the population is made up of Lobi, Mande, Fulani, Senufo, Gurunsi and Bobo tribes. Islam is the predominant religion in the country followed by people following indigenous beliefs and customs. French is the official language but people also speak Sudani language along with 66 other languages.

The country was initially under French dominance and attained liberation in 1960. The country also faced several political and civil disorders. Several reforms were carried out in the society of Burkina Faso to bring the conditions to normal.

Though the country is poor and under developed, culture in Burkina Faso is rich and myriad. The warm and hospitable behavior of the general people has made the country lovable to many tourists. The various tribes and clans have a distinct culture and tradition of their own that is evident throughout the country. The most important part of the society is that there is immense harmony and integrity that binds people with each other. The capital of Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou is a cultural hub. It hosts the festival of African Films annually along with the International Arts Festival in the country.

Burkina Faso Religion

A big percentage of the people of Burkina Faso prolong to clutch the conventional idea of the Burkina Faso Religion. The majority of the people of the country are Muslims.

About forty percent of the residents of Burkina Faso follow the indigenous religion and ten percent of the population has Christianity as their religion. About 6 percent of the Christians are Roman Catholics and others are Protestants. Religion of Burkina Faso constitutes of various religions believed by the people of the various ethnic groups in the country.

There is no major disagreement among the religions in Burkina Faso. Christianity in Burkina Faso was spread by the missionaries during the colonial period. The western and southern part of the country has Christian dominated regions. There are many Christians among the people of the elite class in the city. The clergy lead the prayers at the church.

Islam in Burkina Faso has an extensive and diverse account. About 50% of the people of the country are Muslims. There is a Grand Mosque in Bobo-Dioulasso. The Muslims of the Bukina Faso have their special prayers on Friday, that is led by the Imams. There are also religious gatherings for the people of the country. In the country, magic and witchcraft are also practiced in every day life.

Burkina Faso Food

Burkina Faso food comes in wide variety. Though there are some staple foods in the country, which include maize, beans, rice, potatoes, okra, millet, yams and peanuts, there are some other foods in Burkina Faso too that are extremely popular in the country. With abundant livestock in most of the villages, eggs are available in plenty. The rivers act as storehouse to several varieties of fish, which are also consumed by the local people of the area. Meat is not eaten quite often as it is pretty expensive. Apart from these sources of protein, fresh green vegetables are available in plenty in the country