History of Geghard
Geghard is a cave monastery that was built during the 12-13 century AD. It is basically a complex that includes a main cathedral and several rock curved monks' cells. The main cathedral was built in 1215. Geghard was originally named Arivank Cave Monastery. The word Geghard is the abbreviation of the word Geghardavank, which means "the Monastery of the Spear". The name was inspired by a legend about the spear that wounded Jesus during the crucifixion. The spear was later transferred to Echmiadzin for protection.
Structure of Geghard
All the building of the monastery was carved from solid granite. Four churches are located here and all of them are curves from the hillside rocks and valley. The compound is surrounded by high walls and mountains. A mountain carved chamber consists of small pond and stream. The churches are all interconnected. Geghard comprises of beautifully curved columns, arches and vaults.
The well preserved Geghard monastery is considered to be one of the most visited tourist destinations in Armenia.