Afghanistan is a landlocked country in Central Asia. It shares its borders with Pakistan to the southeast, Iran to west, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan to the north, and China to the northeast.
Kabul is the capital of Afghanistan. It is also the capital of the Kabul Province. It is located in Eastern Afghanistan. Situated at 5,900 feet, it is an important economic and cultural center. Its geographic coordinates are 34 31N, 69 09E. Timur Shah Durrani made it the capital in 1776.
How big is Afghanistan?
The geographic coordinates of Afghanistan are 29 39N, 60 75E. It is the 41st largest country in the world and is the 42nd most populous country in the world. It covers an area of 251,772 square miles and has an estimated population of 29,835,392.
What is the currency of Afghanistan?
The official currency of Afghanistan is Afghani. Its ISO 4217 code is AFN. It is subdivided into 100 pul. It is issued by Da Afghanistan Bank.
Which is the largest city of Afghanistan?
The capital of Afghanistan, Kabul, is the largest city of Afghanistan. It covers an area of 106.2 square miles and has an estimated population of 3,895,000.
What is the official language of Afghanistan?
Persian or Dari and Pashto are the official languages of Afghanistan. Other languages also spoken in the country are Uzbek, Turkmen, Balochi, Pashayi, and Nuristani.
What is the religion of Afghanistan?
Afghanistan is a Muslim state; almost 99% of the population is Muslim. The remaining 1% of the population comprises Sikhs, Hindus, and Jews.
What is the literacy rate of Afghanistan?
The literacy rate of Afghanistan is very low, with female literacy rate as low as 10% . The total literacy rate of the country is approximately 34%.
Who is the political leader of Afghanistan?
The government of Afghanistan is divided into three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. It is an Islamic republic and is currently led by th Karzai administration. Hamid Karzai is the current President of Afghanistan. He has been the president since December 7, 2004. Mohammed Fahim is the first Vice President since November 2009. Karim Khalili is the current second Vice President in the Karzai administration. He assumed office on December 7,2004.
When is the National Day of Afghanistan celebrated?
August 19 is celebrated as the National Day of Afghanistan. The Third Afghan War led to the sovereignty of Afghanistan. It began on May 6, 1919. It ended with the Treaty of Rawalpindi which was signed between Afghanistan and United Kingdom. On this day in 1919, King Amanullah Khan declared the nation a sovereign and fully independent state.
What is the economy of Afghanistan like?
In 2010, the GDP of Afghanistan was $27.36 billion, while its GDP per capita was $900. Agriculture accounts for 78.6% of the GDP, followed by services: 15.7%, and industry: 5.7%. Unemployment rate stands at 35%, and 36% of the population live below poverty line. Major industries in the country are soap, furniture, shoes, fertilizers, apparel, food-products, natural gas, coal, and copper. Major trade flows are with Pakistan, India, Russia, Germany, Tajikistan, and United States. It exports opium, fruits and nuts, wool, cotton, hides, precious and semi-precious stones, while it imports capital goods, food, textiles, and most consumer goods.